Flowers are used in a variety of ways. Some are used to create a hand bouquet whereas others are used to create flower arrangements. There are various businesses like flower delivery Singapore that offer florist facilities. Here are some tips to extend the life of your flower arrangements:
- Clean the vase to be used for the arrangement. Ensure that the vase is washed properly with soapy water and dried. This helps prevent bacteria from growing in the water which lead to the destruction of flowers.
- Carefully prepare the water to be used in the vase. It is essential to use water that is neither too soft nor too hard. Water that is too hard contains harmful minerals that have a damaging effect on the flowers. Similarly, soft water might contain an excess of sodium which is harmful for the life span of the floral arrangement. Furthermore insert a small amount of plant food into the water in the vase. Plant food consists of lemon juice and sugar which help the flowers remain healthy for a longer period of time.
- Use water that is neither too hot nor too cold. 100 F is the ideal temperature for water used in floral arrangements.
- Cut the stems of the flowers under water to prevent air from getting trapped in the stems. The trapped air hinders the path of water up the stem to the flower.
- Re cut the edges of the stem and change the water of the vase on a daily basis. This guarantees a constant supply of water and nutrients to the flowers.
- If using foam, it is important to select the right type of foam. Florist Singapore uses tools such as foam to make eye catching floral arrangements. If using fresh flowers, use the green foam as it helps to retain water. If using artificial flowers use the brown foam as it is more sturdy. Care needs to be taken when inserting flowers in the foam as the edges might become bent.
- Spray the arrangement with water regularly so the flowers retain their freshness.
- Place the flower arrangement in a cool area. Avoid placing it in direct sunlight as this will result in wilting of flowers.
- Use a variety of flowers that do not wilt easily. Florist Singapore can help select flowers according to the customer’s needs.
- Remove dead leaves from the arrangement regularly. Branches and dead leaves often fall to the bottom of the arrangement and invite bacteria into the water. This is a simple technique often applied by florist to keep their flowers blooming for longer periods of time.
It can be seen that there are various methods to retain the freshness of flowers. Whether the flowers are used in a wedding bouquet or a centre table arrangement, these tricks can be applied to maintain the freshness of flowers.