Annual flowers are those type of flowers wherein they are planted during Spring and Summer, then it blooms for a season, then it eventually dies. While Perennial flowers are those lasting blossoms because they continue to grow in Spring even after they hibernate during the winter season. When Perennial flowers hibernate, gardeners would replace them for the meantime with annual flowers. While annual flowers are used often as decorations to enhance the landscape.
Perennial flowers are more expensive than annual flowers. When it comes to providing a display of colour, annual flowers are more colourful especially during late spring and the entire summer. And when it comes to planting them, perennials are low maintenance, in other words, they only need minimal care because they are self-sufficient especially when they hibernate during the winter season. Once the perennials fully bloom, they last for more than 4 weeks while annuals last only for a shorter period of time.
Annual flowers, as compared to perennials that are low maintenance, require more attention. They should be monitored from time to time because once you neglect them, it will prevent their growth and maturity. Planting this type of flowers also requires much time and type of soil that you are going to use must be replaced every year. Perennials, on the other hand, although expensive, but RE definitely worth it once they full bloom. However, they don’t easily bloom especially during a couple of seasons so you still have to monitor them.
Example of Annual Flowers
The following annual flowers bloom all summer:
- These are usually in the colour yellow and they are classic spring flowers and this can also be used as garnishment for cocktails and as well as soups.
- Sweet Alyssum. Its scientific name is Lobularia Maritima and this flower exudes a light fragrance that can be used to enhance aroma in your garden.
- This flower has a mouth like petals and it has a variety of shapes and colours that you can choose. This is a perfect flower to add to your hand bouquet or birthday flowers.
- Sweet Peas. Due to its sweet and delicate scent, this is the favourite fragrance used in perfumes. Plus this flower can grow more than 9 feet.
- This flower is the favourite among florists in Singapore to add to their flower arrangement because its petals do not easily fall.
Examples of Perennial Flowers
- This perennial flower looks like a daisy but it’s not. They usually bloom during mid-summer to early fall and can grow as tall as 5 feet.
- This is one of the most popular and most beautiful perennial flowers. It blooms during spring and can grow as tall as 8 feet. If you are looking for a bouquet that you can give to someone, this is one of the highly recommended flowers by our online florist.
- One of the most popular flowers too just like Peonies. They also bloom during Spring and can grow up to 1.5 feet only. This flower attracts many butterflies and bees because of its cup-shaped centre.
- This flower looks like a bell that usually blooms during early summer and early fall.
- This flower looks like a star and it comes with varieties of colours like white, indigo, violet, red, and pink. It usually blooms during late spring to early fall.
Difference In Planting
Since annual flowers only bloom in one season, they produce more flowers as compared to perennial flowers. So if you want to make a lot of seeds, it follows that you are also going to be needing a lot of flowers to plant. Since they only bloom in one season, you have to make the most out of the annual flowers. Perennial flowers, on the other hand, grow year to year so there’s no pressure on them to produce more flowers. Instead, they pour all their energies in growing strong roots.
Difference In Taking Care
Perennials are difficult to grow from its own seed and it may take a while before they fully bloom. However, they will be a mainstay in their area but once in a while, you will have to move them especially when the soil is not that rich in nutrients. They are not as vibrant in texture as compared to annual flowers and they usually come in the shades of pink and yellow.
Annual Flowers, on the other hand, have to be maintained well since they only bloom in one season. You have to start maintaining them the moment you plant them in your garden. Check if the soil is good enough as early as possible or else they won’t flourish and last long. So providing them proper care and giving their basic need will yield you a healthier plant that would last longer.
Since annual flowers only last for a short period of time, they are mostly given to recipients who want to enjoy the flowers immediately. They are also great for flower arrangements during weddings. They are also great decorations at home. Cheap florist Singapore sells varieties of annual flowers that you can give to someone as a gift.
Meanwhile, perennial flowers are given as gifts in potted plants because they can grow every year. Some of the popular potted flowers given as gifts according to a florist in Singapore are Tulips, Hydrangeas, and Lilies.