If you are planning to plant and grow peonies you must first learn a few things about them. Growing flowers can be a hard task. You would need patience, hard work and knowledge about gardening before you can successfully grow plants and flowers. A green thumb is just dedication, hard work and knowledge. If you know a lot about what you are getting into and learn about the flowers you are thinking of planting, then you can definitely go a long way. Planting Peonies may seem easy, but it would help a lot if you knew more about them.
Here are some fun facts about the flower:
- Peonies had gotten their name from “Paean or Paeon, a Greek deity of healing. In this Greek mythology, it is said that this Greek deity was saved by Zeus from Asclepius, the god of medicine. His teacher grew jealous and had later turned him into a blooming peony flower out of envy.
- There are two types of peonies, the Tree Peony which has a scientific name of Paeonia Suffruticosa and the Chinese Peony which is also known as the Paeonia Lactiflora.
- They were known to be the Queen of Herbs in Ancient Greece and The King of Flowers in China.
Like any other flower, peonies have a meaning to them. If you have read about the language of flowers, you would know that most flowers have references to something. Be it an emotion or a state of mind, knowing what flowers mean will later help you as you grow to become a florist. You would know which flowers to pick in creating a specific hand bouquet. Peonies represent a lot of beautiful things. They can express romance, a wish of good luck or fortune, prosperity, and compassion.
These flowers also represent blissful marriage. Which makes them the perfect flower arrangement or bridal bouquet to give to married couples or a bride as she walks down the aisle. Although, some colors of this flower represent something else. Like the Red peonies which are often known to represent bashfulness or shyness, something a little bit different than other Peonies which express love and other intimate feelings.
There are different kind of Peonies you can choose from and they all grown a little differently but are all beautiful. Some of these Peonies are:
- Herbaceous Peonies – The most common type of Peonies and are wildly popular compared to its other variants. They usually bloom late in spring or early in the summer for at least 10 days. These types of peonies are considered the most fragrant of its kind and often come in different shades of red, pink and white. They usually grow 2 to 3 feet tall if taken care of.
- Tree Peonies– These types of peonies bloom during spring and they take in the form of a woody perennial shrub. They do not grow fast and are often considered sluggish growers by florists. Although they grow slow, they can grow high and some may even reach up to 7 feet tall. These peonies are known for their size and large blooms that come in various colors. You can find blooms of these in white, pink and pale yellow.
- Itoh Peonies – This is the outcome of crossing a tree peony and an herbaceous peony. These are intersectional peony hybrids. They are considered a better version of the common and natural peony as they can bloom up to 50 or more flowers on short stems that no longer require stalking. Their blooming period also lasts three to four weeks.
Here is the fun part, how do you grow peonies? Here are some simple tips to keep in mind to make sure you grow beautiful and healthy peonies.
- The perfect season to start planting your peonies is during Fall. This would make sure that they would be strong enough to handle the coldness of the winter.
- The soil is always important when planting, and it goes the same with Peonies. It would be better if you used a well-draining, moist soil that is humus-rich and enriched with compost.
- Peonies will definitely love sunlight. This makes them have more blooms and healthier leaves.
- They need intense watering. They take in water quickly and you should, therefore, make sure they do not dry out or not get enough water. Especially during the hot days of summer.
Of course, like any other gardening tips, you should definitely have the patience and perseverance needed to wait for the flowers to bloom. It does not happen overnight and sometimes, not everything goes right the first time. Growing flowers can be hard and strenuous work, but the results will definitely be worth it. If you have ever dreamed of owning your own garden, then you should be prepared to put in the extra effort. This will make sure your plants will grow and be nurtured.
In gardening, hard work really does pay off when you see your creation in full bloom. Your backyard will be littered with colorful peonies among other flowers in no time. Peonies often need a year or two to bloom fully so make sure to pack a lot of patience and do not be discouraged easily, the process is part of the effort and the effort is part of the reward you get in the end.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_cta h2=”BEST PRICE ALWAYS” h4=”Call +65 6503 9750″ txt_align=”center” color=”orange”]Check Out Our Peony Bouquet[/vc_cta][/vc_column][/vc_row]